VP of Software Engineering - IoT
VP of Software Engineering - IoT
Pura, based in Pleasant Grove, UT, has been revolutionizing self-care and IoT (internet of things) connected experiences in homes for the past several years. We obsess over providing world-class experiences for our customers, partners, and vendors. We're looking for individuals who are committed to Human-Centered design & delivery. We pride ourselves on maintaining a team-based culture, quality, innovation, and continuous growth and development!
Our teams build and maintain apps, services, fragrances, and devices that power all of the connected experience platforms for Pura customers internal and external. We’re hiring for a VP of Software Engineering whose responsibilities include leading a team of software engineers, collaborating with product managers, firmware & electrical engineers, ux designers and improving company culture, policies and standards. We are looking for an eager candidate interested in growing the software IoT engineering group at Pura. Working closely with business leadership, you will play a major role in shaping the cloud and mobile application development for Pura’s products.
Who you are committed to being:
- You are focused on making progress every day
- You are an excellent communicator and adapt to the needs of the business
- You are comfortable establishing and evangelizing a desired end state, or outcome, and motivating your teams and others to come along
- You ask detailed and specific questions, understand nuance, and challenge conventional wisdom
- You care about the success of your customers, partners, and team members
- You understand that what people say they want and what they actually want may differ
- You have a knowledge and appetite for best practices across code, build, test, release, and ongoing operational hygiene
- You have strong business and product instinct.
What you’ll own:
- Collaboration with cross-functional teams engaging in the design and implementation of cloud-based mobile applications and their communication with the firmware of IoT hardware.
- You will manage the engineering team responsible for development, testing, and deployment of cloud and mobile based applications ensuring quality, reliability, usability, and performance of deliverables.
- You will also be expected to advocate best practices throughout the software development lifecycle to ensure quality, scalability and delivery excellence.
- Be responsible for keeping your team of engineers engaged, happy, and efficient
- Maintain and enrich our collaborative and inclusive work culture ensuring strong and effective communication across the team
- Collaborate closely with your team and business stakeholders within Pura to determine priorities, scope projects, refine requirements, manage resource allocation, and guide projects to successful completion
- Serve as technical advisor to the team - monitor technical debt, drive infrastructure and tooling investments as necessary and cultivate excellence through technical mentorship
- Share your passion for staying on top of tech trends, experimenting with and learning new technologies
- Keep the team and stakeholders aligned by frequently and proactively communicating status, risks, and tradeoffs
- Provide regular feedback and coaching to nurture career growth
- Drive hiring of great candidates as the team grows
- Improve processes and help define the structure and organization of the engineering department.
- Ensure that the engineering team is efficiently delivering quality releases that are aligned with business goals
- This role reports to the Chief Experience Officer.
Experience you’ll need:
- 7+ years as a tech lead and/or manager
- 5+ years engineering experience
- 2+ years of experience with cloud solutions
- Exceptional work ethic, comfortable working in a fast-paced and dynamic environment, and the ability to independently manage a workload with multiple priorities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, both technical and non-technical
- Proficiency in software design and architecture, algorithm and data structures, information analysis, and integration patterns
- Experience as an engineering manager or engineering team lead
- Strong communication skills, capable of explaining complex technical concepts to non-engineering stakeholders
- Experience with growing an IOT infrastructure to a large scale at a rapid pace
- Experience with AWS IOT Core, Defender, Fleet Indexing, MQTT Messaging, etc.
- Experience working with consumer-scale cloud, DevOps automation frameworks, and CI/CD pipelines
- Possess a strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Demonstrated time-management skills to meet critical deadlines
At Pura, we're pairing smart tech with premium fragrance to create a perfectly personalized and customized scenting experience for the individual. We partner with brands like Disney, Capri Blue, and Anthropologie to bring original and well-loved fragrances to homes in a modern, convenient, and safe way. We know we've only just begun to unlock the possibility of scent, and we're excited for the opportunities that lie ahead.
We're quickly turning heads and getting noticed. We raised a seed round of 4.4M in February of 2020, was recognized by Inc. Magazine as a 2021 Best Workplace, won the Silicon Slopes Hall of Fame & Awards Advertising category in 2022, and we're currently the 6th-fastest growing company in Utah. Check out our Instagram @pura and TikTok @trypura channels for a look into the excited, engaged community we're building. We pride ourselves on being a human brand and in creating a culture worth talking about, and we have big goals for the future.
Join the Pura Team!
*All candidates are subject to a background check.
Pura provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.